CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My dad would be so proud

I know most of you would think I am crazy but this is my favorite part of summer.



For those of you who don't like tomatoes, you don't know what you are missing. There is nothing like a fresh vine-ripened, home grown, hand picked tomato to compliment a summer meal.



These are some of the other things I grew in my garden this summer. I should not really take any credit for it, I planted some tiny plants and went on vacation and this is what I got when I came back. Yes that is a cantaloupe, squash, cucumbers(or dew jumpers as Madi calls them) there are also onions and jalapeno peppers. YUM!!!


This was the biggest tomato. I picked it because it was on the ground and it barely fit in my hand. I know it was not ripe yet but I put it in the window and it ripened in about 5 days. You can see how pretty it is in the picture above.

Now I know it is still August and that it is officially still summer but the last week has been absolutely gorgeous here. The highest it has gotten has been the low 80's and today I took the kids on a walk after dinner and this is what I saw:



Yes those are leaves that are already starting to turn. It is a good thing we are going to be back in Texas for the winter, it is going to be an early, cold, long one here!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

YOur coming back to TX ? I missed something! LOVE all that garden fresh veggies! I want some:) We want to do a garden next year...we will see if that happens!

natasha said...

when are you leaving?

Kristie said...

I love all the things that you have grown!!! They look great. I must say that the leaves are already starting to turn here too. :) And I don't get to go back to TX....... :(

Eric and Amy said...

Bravo on the garden! Absent farmer gardening is the best! We planted corn and strawberries, watered em, and wound up with actual edible stuff! I was so impressed. Although your crop looks much better than mine! I can't believe the trees are already changing there. Man it's dang hot down here!