CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Are you hungry?

As I was running this morning I was thinking about a talk given in church on Sunday. A Brother got up and started by asking us to imagine if we only ate once a day. And when we ate we only took a few nibbles. We didn't even get a whole bite in. Then we would go to a snack buffet once a week. We could eat for a while but there wasn't really a full meal there, only snacks. Then we only took a drink of water a couple of times a week.
Of course this isn't physical food he was talking about, it is spiritual food. Are we spiritually starving? I have been thinking about this a lot. When I am hungry and my blood sugar is low I am very cranky. Everyone annoys me and nothing goes right, ever. Then I eat and I am fine. I can be my nice, loving, friendly, patient self again. I think we are like that spiritually as well. When our spiritual blood sugar is low, nothing seems to go right. Our lives are not bearable and we want to give up. (at least I do) If we Feast upon the words of Christ, then our lives go smoother. Maybe it is just that we are able to deal with things better but no matter what it is, it is easier.
Then I thought I would test this theory. I thought about a lady in our little branch who is the gospel doctrine teacher. She studies the lessons 3-4 weeks in advance. She comes to class with pages and pages of notes about the lesson to share with us. She prays about everything. Lets just say she is someone I look up to spiritually. And I thought, She is NOT spiritually starved. And I wondered how her life is going. She has a severely handicapped daughter, she has MS, she runs her husbands business, she has 3 teenagers, she is going to school full time, her husband is not a member and guess what? She is HAPPY. She is always willing to spend time with you or give you something you need. She gets her visiting teaching done on time every month and she is HAPPY.
Is this just a fluke or are there other people I know that are feasting on Christs words and their life is good? YES!! Our stake president was just diagnosed with lung cancer. He is going through radiation therapy and things should be tough for him and his family. He is another person I look up to spiritually because he is making time to do the things that he knows he needs to do and he is happy. He came to speak to our branch 2 months ago and I couldn't believe how up beat and genuinely happy he and his wife were.
This simple analogy has made me want to be a better person. How many times has someone come over and all I do is complain? How is it that I can go through a whole day with out saying, "I love you." to my husband? Why is it that my kids can get on my nerves for the smallest thing? Why am I not better at fulfilling my callings?
Now I know the answer--I am starving. Are you?

4 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

I am so starving! It's like exercise, when you do it you feel so good. You feel better able to deal with what the world throws out you. You have energy and want to get things done. Too bad the spiritual side and the physical side I struggle with. :) There's always something on our to-do list, eh? I guess if we put Him first, the rest just comes easier.
Thanks for the reminder!

Amy said...

I loved reading your blog--I think about stuff like that too when I am running and all alone from kids, phone, internet too. I often wonder how many distractions we bring upon ourselves.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Amy

Amber Hooten said...

Thanks for posting that, Jody. I needed that. Clay was laid off again yesterday and I know that if I can take care of myself spiritually that I can deal with this a little better. I keep feeling like everything is falling apart. I am going to take your advise and go "feed" myself. Thanks again!

The Fraser's said...

pow...right in the kisser...talk about calling someone to repentance. Thank you. I need to go "eat" now (pra for forgiveness, read my scriptures, hug my kids, etc.).